Fforest Cwm is approximately three miles from Hay-on-Wye and just over a mile from the nearest village. Clyro is on the A438, 23 miles west of Hereford and 15 miles east of Brecon. There are various interpretations given to the word "Clyro". It is thought to mean, "shining" or "clear water". The old names were "Cleirwy" and "Clidderwy", meaning "The Wye flowing on a bed of clay".
The daily life of Clyro has been evocatively preserved in the diaries of the Reverend Francis Kilvert, curate here in the 1860's and 70's, while he lodged at Ashbrook House whilst it is thought that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was inspired to write the Hound of the Baskervilles after visiting the Baskerville Estate. St. Michaels Church in Clyro dates from the 12th Century although it was extensively rebuilt in 1853.
Nearby lies “The Begwyns;” the name is a version of the Welsh for peat. This “wonderful, wide-horizoned hill country of Radnorshire held within the arc of the river Wye as it spills down from Builth and slips east towards the soft shires of England” (Jim Perrin- The Guardian) attracts visitors who walk, ride or cycle its paths whilst beyond lie the high peaks of the Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains. The Begwyns will call you back again and again. Skylarks are abundant from February until the Autumn; hen harriers have been sighted and it is a truly magical place. Many people of course are attracted to the area because of the nearby town of Hay-on-Wye with its superb, independent shops and its famous annual festival held at the end of May. There are many good places to eat in Hay itself but nearby in Painscastle, just two miles away, is the excellent Roast Ox Inn as well as the Baskerville Arms in Clyro, serving local beer and home cooked food.